Home   History   The Farmhouse   Hospitality   Pictures   Lodi Province   Rates   Where we are   Contacts

 

 

Lodi province ("pruincia de Lod"; in local dialect) is an Italian province of Lombardy region with 227,655 inhabitants and its capital is Lodi. It borders Milan province to the north, Cremona province to the east, Emilia-Romagna region (Piacenza province) to the south and Pavia province and the San Colombano al Lambro exclave (Milan) to the west.
It was established on 6th March 1992 with 61 municipalities separated from Milan province.
Five municipalities enjoy the title of "city" in the province: Lodi, Codogno, Casalpusterlengo, Lodi Vecchio and Sant'Angelo Lodigiano.
The province territory stretches for about 780 square kilometer and it is almost entirely bound by Adda river right bank, Lambro river left bank and Po river left ban. Water streams, both natural and man-made are its typical elements together with a regular plain slightly sloping from north to south-east (slope of about 0.5 percent). With one exception: the moderate rise of San Colombano al Lambro hills, reaching the maximum height of 144 meters above sea level. The soil is typically alluvial, generally consisting of either siliceous-calcareous or argillaceous-siliceous sand which, along with lime carbonate, often mixed with alumina, forms the vegetal or arable crust.
Although recently established, the historical origins of this province, which is well set in a homogeneous low plain environment and bound by large rivers, date back to at least 2,000 years ago.
The first juridical recognition was in 89 B.C. by Gnaeus Pompeius Strabo and in 49 B.C. by Julius Caesar which granted Roman citizenship to Laus Pompeia's inhabitants. The territory was known as ager laudensis.
The Lodi Diocese was established in 374, ensuring cohesion of the whole territory even in the darkest times.
In Low Middle Ages an exceptional reclamation of vast marshes took place on the territory through an excellent hydraulic engineering work which made this area one of the most fertile lands in Europe. In the centuries following the Communes epoch, the area was granted a certain administrative freedom (Contado di Lodi) by the various rulers. However, the full recognition of Lodi administrative autonomy was fully recognized only by the Austria occupants in the 18th century, when the area became a province in 1757 and officially took this name in 1786 with the reformation by Joseph II.
After the turmoil of Napoleon's epoch (with the short-lived experience of Adda Department in 1797, which was later annexed to Alto Po Department with Cremona as the capital), in 1816 the Province was re-established and enlarged with the nearby territory of Crema, thus taking the new name "Province of Lodi and Crema".


Pictures from Lodi Province